Monday, May 26, 2008

Arrival at Darien


As soon as we arrived at the area the natives american fled. We have moved into the houses. Enciso named the settlement El Guardia, but I have chosen to rename the town Santa Marta del Antigua del Darien. Because Enciso has been losing his admiration by the colonist they have been considering me a better leader. I have been elected as alcalde of Santa Marta, along with my friend Benito Palazuelos. Enciso's power is deteriorating and the people no longer wish for the colony to be under his command. He has accused me of rebelling against his authority. It is now the spring of 1511, and the people of Santa Marta are fed up with Enciso and have him arrested for a list of crimes. He will be shipped tomorrow morning to the island of Hispaniola. I will use the admiration the people have for me to make myself the Captain-General and Governor. So far the people have accepted being under my command and I have tried to keep a peaceful relationship with the native americans.

No comments: